Thursday, February 26, 2015

Gees Bend, Alabama by way of Austin, Texas...



When I saw that the keynote at QuiltCon 2015 was being given by the Gees Bend Quilters - I could not have been more excited! These ladies are such an amazing inspiration! Having grown up in rural Alabama, I had been fortunate enough to see the "Gees Bend Style" long before I understood what it was or appreciated its unique beauty. What is now being called "improv" was something that was common around the less economically fortunate parts of Alabama. I never really understood the connection until I attended the History of Quilting lecture by Bill Volckening at QuiltCon 2015. It was very common for people in the more poorer areas to create their quilts out of whatever they had on hand - as a trip to the fabric shop wasn't something that could happen. So when I grew up seeing these quilts in houses and being passed around from Grandparents and relatives, I never understood why they all looked so similar - until now. But even with their being similar - they pale in comparison to the work and artistry of the Gees Bend Quilters! These ladies work is truly amazing and one-of-a-kind!

I have several books in my collection of quilt books that are about the Gees Bend Quilting Collective. I always look at these quilts with a sense of awe. Its just amazing to think of how these ladies created such amazing works of pure quilted art with such little resources. I love to see that so many of the qualities that we are coining as modern, are things that these ladies have been doing for many years. To me, these ladies are the ones who paved the way for our movement today. They are the quilting explorers who led the expeditions into the unknown and we are now all reaping the benefits. If you haven't read up on these wonderful ladies, please do - its a beautiful and fascinating story!

I'm sorry, I cant help but gush - its just that these ladies are such an inspiration to me! So... now back to QuiltCon! On my second day at QuiltCon, I snuck down to the lobby to grab some coffee while it was super early. You know how it is ladies, you think that you will go out at a crazy hour (without your makeup) and not meet anyone... does that ever work? Of course not! So, THIS had to be the time I bump into my quilting idols right? LOL. I'm sitting in a chair by the fire and who should come walking by by Ms MaryAnn Pettway and Ms China Pettway! I knew exactly who they were when I saw them, but I was still a bit starstruck and didn't know what to say... yea yea, those who know me cant even imagine ME being speechless -- it CAN happen, lol... So, I timidly speak up and say -- excuse me, but aren't you the ladies of Gees Bend? What beautiful smiles I received then and the next thing I know we are all sitting together and talking! We talked about Alabama and of course their beautiful works... it was like going back home for a few moments. It was just wonderful! These ladies are just beautiful inside and out -- I couldn't help but just adore them immediately!

So, QuiltCon went on and I didn't have the opportunity to bump into the ladies again. They were pulled in a hundred directions and really couldn't walk to the restroom without being stopped for pictures and adoration... the tough life of a quilting legend, right? ;-) I certainly hope that they felt the love - everyone there sure was thrilled to have them be a part of the event and to just get to be close to such quilting artists. Finally came time for the Keynote address... this was what I had been waiting for! Wow, they did NOT disappoint either! The ladies would go from telling us histories and about how they quilt to song in moments... and wow, can they sing! I was able to record their songs, my apologies that they aren't perfect, but its the best I could do with a cell phone. Enjoy!








This is what I wrote on our facebook page after the keynote: "So, today we had the keynote address from the wonderful ladies of the Gee's Bend Quilters Corner. You can enjoy their beautiful songs in the videos that I uploaded. These ladies were piecing improv long before there was a term for it or a label to tag it with. These ladies are truly an inspiration. They explained to us that each one of us is individual and unique and our quilts are a part of us. They are a piece of us that we share with the world. We should be proud of ourselves and our creations and strive to embrace every part, and not doubt or criticize - work to appreciate the beauty in them. We should do our own thing and not try to be anyone else. Don't follow the rules or try to please anyone but yourself, let the quilt shine as a piece of art that is YOU...... I will never forget the lessons these ladies shared with us all."

2 comments: