Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fried Chicken and Gees Bend...

Blogger decided that my last post about Gees Bend was SOOOOO full of awesome, that it wouldn't allow me to add more to it.... but I have more to tell! So, here is part two! ;-)

On Sunday, it was my turn to wear the blue shirt... the QuiltCon volunteer shirt that is. I had a pretty cool job too - I got to be the Teachers Lounge. That meant that I pretty much did anything that I could to make our speakers and lecturers more comfortable. One of the things that I did on that day, was gather up some snacks and sandwiches for the ladies of Gees Bend. Oh boy, this was exciting, right?! As I was running around, I found them sitting at a table and trying to rest up between their classes. I asked them was there anything that I could get for them - they made my day when they remembered meeting me and called me "their Alabama girl". They commented that they had heard about some famous fried chicken place that was nearby and they would like to have some for dinner. I told them that I would be happy to help out with that and since they were staying at the same hotel as me, would even make sure that it was brought to them - so they wouldn't have to be walking around in the cold and rainy Austin weather. Now, here is where you see Alabama come shining through.... this kindness really touched the ladies and before I knew it, they had one arm around each of my shoulders and started singing me a song - sight there in the convention center! Oh boy, I couldn't help it... tears of happiness flowed! What an honor! I will always remember that... the song was called "Remember Me" -- and I don't think that I will ever forget!


Ms Mary Ann gave me her card and told me to call her on her cell phone later that night and we would get together for dinner... again, Im just a bit speechless, wow! So I called and to my surprise, these lovely ladies insisted that I join them in their room for a chicken dinner! It was so much like being back home - they fussed over me not eating enough (this is why a lot of us in Alabama are fat, lol). We talked about quilting and I dared to show them some of my own -- being that I have only sewed for a year, I was embarrassed to show them... but it meant the world to me when they told me that I was off to a great start and that they saw some creative talent in my work. I will always love how Ms China says that any mistake isn't a mistake - its art.... I will surely be using that line from now on!

The ladies will be in Pulatka, Florida in March and I will surely be driving up to see them. If you ever get the opportunity - I urge you to, this is truly an inspiration and the heart of what our quilting movement is all about, in my opinion.
Thank you ladies -- bless your beautiful hearts - and I will always cherish my time with you. ~ Leandra

P.S. I just wanted to add.... all of us agreed that Gus's Fried Chicken was good... but it wasn't the same as the Sunday fried chicken after church you would have growing up in Alabama... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I'm so glad you had the opportunity to spend time together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It meant a great deal to me, Bill - I will never forget it! <3

      Delete